The Kadhi is a very popular dish,basically a product of curd and gram flour,with varying cooking methods prevailing in different parts of India.Each has its own unique taste and flavour.
- Gram flour for pakoda 1cup
- Gram flour for kadhi 1/4 cup
- Turmeric powder 1 tsp
- Asafoetida. 1/4 tsp
- Fenugreek 1/2 tsp
- Whole red chilly 3-4
- Garlic 5-6 flakes
- Green chilly 5-6 pieces
- Onion 2 medium
- Cumin seeds 1/4 tsp
- Garam masala 1/4 tsp
- Red chilli powder 1 tsp
- Green coriander leaves 1bunch
- Sour curd 4 cup
- Salt to taste
- Mustard oil for fry 5-6 tbsp
- Pure ghee for sprinkle 2tbsp
- Water 3-4 cup
- Crush green chilly and garlic.
For the pakodas,
- Take 1 cup gram flour in a separate bowl,add 1/2 cup of water gradually in small quantities at a time,keep on beating.The batter should be thick.Add salt,turmeric powder,1/4 tsp red chilly powder &1 pinch asafoetida [hing].
- To judge whether the batter is fit for fluffy pakodas,take it in a spoon and drop a bit in water taken in a cup.If the batter floats,then it is ok and no more beating is required.Batter is ready to make pakodas.
- Heat oil in a deep pan on high flame.
- Once piping hot,drop small balls of gram flour batter in oil with help of a spoon.
- Deep fry till golden brown.
- Make 5-6 pakodas at a time.
- Keep pakodas aside.
- Take curd in a separate bowl and beat well.
- Add 1/4cup gram flour.Whisk thoroughly till batter is smooth and no lumps are there.
- Add turmeric powder,1/4tsp red chilly powder 1/4tsp garam masala and 3-4 cup of water.
- Whisk well again.
|Mixture of curd & gram flour|
- Heat oil in a bigger deep pan on high flame.
- Add asafoetida, methi and whole red chilly.
- When these begin to sputter,add both grated garlic & green chilli.Mix and fry for 5-6 seconds.
- Add mixture of gram flour & curd.Mix.Stir well and bring to boil.
- Lower the flame and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add salt to taste.Stir occasionally.
- Kadhi solution should not be thick.To check its rightness,follow the illustration.
- Now add pakodas and simmer again on low flame for about 5 minutes.Be careful pakodas may not be broken.
|Pakodas dipped in Kadhi solution|
- For seasoning,heat a small steel bowl on medium flame.
- Add 2 tbsp of pure deshi ghee, then cumin seeds .
- When cumin seeds pop up, add curry leaves,whole red chilly & 1/4 tsp red chilly powder at the same time.Saute for 2-3 seconds.
- Close flame.
- Add it at the time of serving.
- Serve hot,garnished with finely chopped coriander leaves.
|Garnished Kadhi with seasoning|