Mutton korma is a very popular and delicious non veg dish as well as a rich and spicy meat curry.It has a very unique taste.While making mutton korma it is important to use all the noted ingredients to get the flavour right.
- Mutton-750 gms
- Onion-200 gms
- Ginger(adrak)-50 gms
- Garlic(lahsun)-10-15 flakes
- Cinnamon(dalchini) sticks-2 pcs(1 inch each)
- Cloves(laung)-7-8 pcs
- Green cardamom(elaichi)-4-5 pcs
- Bay leaves(tej patta)-2-3 pcs
- Black pepper(kali mirch)-8-10 pcs
- Turmeric powder(haldi)-1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder-1 tsp
- Coriander(dhaniya) powder-2 tbsp
- Garam masala-11/2 tsp
- Curd(dahi)-150 gms
- Mustard oil or Ghee-150 gms
- Coriander(dhaniya) leaves-25 gms(chopped)
- Kesar(saffron)-1 pinch
- Kewara essence-1/4 tsp
- Water-200 ml(approx 1 glass)
- Salt to taste
- Clean mutton pieces properly.Keep it separately.
- Take onion(50gms),garlic and ginger.Make paste through grinder.Keep the paste aside.
- Slice the rest of the onion into fine pieces(length wise).
- Heat ghee in deep frying pan or cooker(5 ltr). Add cinnamon,cloves,black pepper,green cardamom and bay leaves.Fry a little.
- Add sliced onion in cooker.Fry it until it turns transparent.
- Add mutton pieces,a few at a time till all the pieces are added and fry till they turn brown and the water discharged from the mutton is dried up.
- Add the paste and stir occasionally for 4-5 minutes and fry till oil shows separately in the bottom.
- Add turmeric powder,coriander powder and red chilli powder.Stir occasionally for 5-6 minutes.
- Add salt and curd,stir well.
- Add garam masala and stir to mix well.
- Keep stirring constantly for a few minutes making sure all the mutton pieces are coated with spices.Keep on scrapping the bottom of the pan/cooker occasionally.If the mixture gets too dry,splash some water.
- Close the lid and cook for 2 whistles then cook for 10 minutes on low heat.Turn off the heat.
Note: In case pan is used instead of cooker,cover the pan and simmer for about 1 and half an hour on low heat until the meat is very tender.If necessary, splash in a little water from time to time.
- While the pressure is released(or the mutton is cooked in pan), prepare the mixture of kewara essence and kesar.
- Open the lid of cooker/pan and add the mixture and cover with the lid again.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.