Some times [not all the times !], to have information about nutrition value of grains,vegetables is not a bad idea..The main ingredients of this recipe,kamal kakdi [lotus stem] and chana ki dal have nutritious virtues.The kamal kakdi is said to be rich in iron and calcium as well as dietary fibre. The chana is protein rich.Now both combine to give you a yummy dish!
- Kamal kakdi [lotus stem]- 500 gm
- Chana dal- 250 gm
- Black pepper- 8-10 pcs
- Black cardamom- 2 pcs
- Javitri [mace]- 1 pc
- Cinnamon- 1 pc
- Green cardamom- 3-4 pcs
- Garam masala- 1/4 tsp
- Onion- 1 medium size
- Garlic- 7-8 cloves
- Salt to the taste
- Green chili- 3-4 pcs
- Green coriander leaves
- Oil- 4 tbsp
- Water- 1 cup
- Wash and soak the chana dal in water for 1 hour.
- Wash the lotus stem.Peel it & cut into small pieces.Wash again very thoroughly so that mud is completely removed.Remember that special attention is to be paid to clean the lotus stems.
- Chop the green chili & coriander leaves.
- Chop 1 onion into small pieces.
- Slice another onion and garlic cloves lengthwise.
- Grate the ginger.
- Take water in a pan,add salt and lotus stem pieces.Boil for 5 minutes.
- Filter the lotus stem pieces and wash again with fresh water to make it totally free of mud.
- Now add the stem pieces, chana dal,onion pieces,garlic, grated ginger ,spices,green chili, salt and 1 cup of water. Close the lid and boil the mixture in the cooker for 1 whistle,then lower the flame and keep boiling for 10 minutes.Close the flame and let the pressure release.
- Open the cooker.If liquid is found in the cooker,then dry the mixture on low heat.
- Cool the mixture and grind it in grinder.
- Take the ground mixture out of grinder in a bowl.
- Make small balls from the mixture.
- Stuff every ball with small quantity of onion pieces,green chili and coriander.Then shape every ball into even sized kababs.
- Heat a flat frying pan and spread 1 tsp oil on it.. Arrange 3-4 kababs in pan and shallow fry on both sides till both sides get golden brown.Then place them on absorbent paper so that excess oil on the kabab is removed.
Make sure each kabab holds the shape.If during frying,kabab breaks,then add gram powder in small quantity, mix well and use.
Serve hot with paratha and coriander chutney.